Monday, June 27, 2011

Santo Chen third week

I just keep forgetting to put up the posts. really sorry...
Um so not so much happened last week. Dr. Peretz came to the lab on Sunday and everything went well. I didn't get the access to the office so I only showed  her the insectary. Then on Monday I started to analyze all the data I have collected in the first two weeks. I have suggested this to Dr. Peretz that all the EXP students take AP Stats next year since my analyzing process involves so much statistics that I think it would be important for everyone to have a background of stats next year before they go to their summer lab. Sadly, all the data I have collected in the past two weeks only said one thing: NOTHING SIGNIFICANT. Doing all the ANOVAs (one-way+covariate)tests did not yield anything significant results, which rejects the hypothesis that Juvenile Hormone and 20E have played roles in the wing pattern development. This is actually unexpected..well so then my PI decided that maybe we will start another experiment to test the new hypothesis: 20E has developed a compensatory reaction to the level of EcR B1 in the male crawlers (there are a lot of terms in this hypothesis, hard to explain, but one thing: we have totally eliminated JH; the project is now entirely focusing on 20E)
So that is the first project I am participating in now. I have actually done all the work my PI expected me to finish in five weeks..she said I did the work a little bit faster than she thought. So now I am helping out with her other project, a project involves knocking down certain DNA by injecting antibiotics and mediums into the crawlers of another species Junonia Coenia. They have really pretty eyespots...so all I need is to do whatever I had done to all those Bicyclus Anynana to these butterflies and then collect data. Since this sample size is not that big (only about 30 a group), I guess I will finish it by the end of this week. Hope my PI will have another project for me next week hehe.

Santooooooooooooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment