Monday, June 13, 2011

First Day

Kate Wang, CytoSorbents Corporation

Hey guys,

So today was my first day at CytoSorbents and I think it went really well. I started off by meeting with Tom who works mainly in the polymer bead production side and we talked about how the polymer beads are actually made and it got really complicated with big organic chemistry words and such. Then I met Matt and Rob, who I will mainly be working with, and we went over what I will actually be doing in the lab. After that, Tom hooked me up with a lab coat and safety glasses and we went on a tour of the lab. I ended up in Matt's lab where Rob lead me through a sample trial. Okay so this is the tough part. I don't know what exactly I'm allowed to say about this since I can tell you that we were testing for the efficiency of the polymer beads in adsorbing a substance. But I don't know if I can tell you what the substance we used was, or how we did it. So let me tell you that it was pretty straight forward and not too complicated at all.

While we were waiting for the beads to adsorb substance, I ate lunch and then I had a meeting with Dr. Chan, the CEO and we talked about what I was doing and how my experience was in the lab so far. After that, it was back to work again. We finished of the rest of the day  by measuring the absorption with a spectrophotometer and then measuring the sizes of the polymer beads with a really high-tech microscope.

Andddddd I can't think of anything else to write so hopefully I'll have more stuff to share at the end of the week.

-Kate wang

No comments:

Post a Comment