Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Preston Kung- Day 3

So apparently, I can't link my lab notebook to this blog, but I'll describe what I did today. Essentially, we're getting initial and broad readings to see if the mutant form of E. coli  without this certain osmoregulatory pump (TrkA) is going to react differently than the wild type strand of E. coli. So the standard procedure of preparing the materials and recording data was implemented.

Because I haven't done this procedure in a long time, I had to be walked through the process by Teuta. So there are three main processes that must occur before any data analyzation can take place.
1. Incubating only the E. coli strain of interest
2. Preparing the special slide and attaching the E. coli strain of interest on to the special slide
3. Obtaining Data.

Today's focus was mostly review, especially with processes 1 and 2. Something similar is going to be taking place on Monday (It would be Friday, but I'm going on a college visit xP [I really dislike the whole college process]) today I watched Teuta do all three steps and she had me do steps 1 and 2 by myself. I will do step three all by myself on Monday. I think tomorrow is analyzing the data we obtained today.

Speaking of which, since I recently recloned my computer all the softwares I had got deleted. So now, I have to reinstall a ton of software, including the three programs I need to analyze this data. Plus, because I don't have a Princeton netID, I can't just install them from the network. Paperwork is such a hassle!

Coming back from my digression... umm... Today was pretty awesome. It's pretty much an insight to what I am going to be doing most days. It was fun. I broke a piece of a slide that cost less than 2 cents. Nothing like beakers or expensive equipment yet xP (come to think of it, I haven't been that much of a problem to Josh [my PI] in terms of breaking things in the past 1 and 1/2 years YAY!~)

Teuta, the person in charge of me, got pretty mad. See, she just came back from nearly dieing (which is why she didn't respond to my emails as quickly as she usually does) so a lot of stuff has happened in the lab which she wasn't aware of. Things like people using her materials and misplacing them. People using up materials and not telling others or restocking. There were just some bad, careless mistakes. Something wasn't even labeled!~ We, the "strong science kids" of the Peddie School of Excellence, would never do such a thing. Hahahaa   But in all seriousness, it was kinda scary. She's sent like 5 angry emails to the shaevitz email group in the past 24 hours. I usually never get any angry emails due to being part of the lab's email group!

Anyways, today was eventful and fun. So much so that I couldn't go and get a full size lunch.

I'm hungry...

Peace~

-PK

No comments:

Post a Comment