Saturday, June 18, 2011

2nd Week Part 2 --PK

Alright. A lot of good news, and some bad too.
Bad news: I almost broke a micropippette that costs 300 dollars.
Good news: I almost broke a micropippete, but caught it like a ninja.
Bad news: Teuta (my supervisor) saw that the micropippette slipped out of my hand due to carelessness.
Good news: Teuta saw my lightnin' fast reflexes and good coordination.
.
Yea, so I was doing the first half of the procedure for the experiment all by myself when Teuta called my name. I had a 200uL pippette in my hand right before she called my name. After my name was called, it wasn't in my hand. I quickly squatted and grabbed the pippette right before it hit the ground. Before that Teuta always thought that I was uncoordinated and kept saying that I should do some yoga/ballet. =.=''' Not any more! I was so happy (most scared actually) that I caught the pippette. Thank goodness I play enough computer games so my average reaction time is less than .2 seconds. :P
.
Okay so I've been doing really well with the first half of the procedure, and so Teuta started showing me the second part. Although she's been really hard on how I do things (don't lean, make sure this doesn't touch that, etc.) she actually complimented me. Yay! The optical trap has been fixed, so I can start on my experiment again. The problem was never really diagnosed; the machine just magically fixed itself one day. Pretty cool.
.
Yesterday, the undergraduate, who is doing a similar project to mine for his Senior Thesis, and I cleaned out some beakers that had "dangerous" bacteria in it. We had to wear lab coats. Since I don't stand or sit completely erect, I look more like I'm 5'5'' than 5'7''. The undergraduate is like 5'4''. The labcoats were long... they went past our shorts. It literally looked as if we were wearing the labcoats as a dress. Hahaa Everyone in the lab took one look at us and chuckled. Haha I'm actually taller than some of them!
.
Alright so basically, my average day is pretty boring. This is because I haven't obtained the correct programs to analyze the data. So whenever I have time that is designated for analyzing data, I'm watching movies and reading books. I just got my Princeton Badge, so hopefully, I can obtain some programs in the near future. I really need to get started and analyzing my data. Oh one more bad thing, despite the fact that I'm supposed to be paid 10 dollars an hour and by the end of the summer, I would have worked in the same lab for more than 500 hours, my Princeton Badge fridgin' says VISITOR in big, bold font. :'( wahhhh
.
Oh almost forgot the best news of all, by the end of  next week, I should be able to run the entire procedure all by myself. I am so happy and excited. I finally get to feel like a researcher. (Instead of being babied and stuff... which I probably still will be [my PI called me a toddler hahaa])
.
PS. I brought in doughnuts and everyone was very happy. Maybe next time I'll bring in bubble tea. After all, half of the researchers are Chinese. Lawl

Peace~

-PK

No comments:

Post a Comment