Monday, June 6, 2011

Preston Kung- Day 1

June 6th:
Since it's the first week, I'll update this blog a little more frequently than I have decided to. Most likely, I'll create a new post twice a week (hopefully on Wednesdays and Fridays).

So the first day. Because the general public might be reading this (eventually), I won't actually state how I already broke a rule and should be evicted out of Princeton University. Nonetheless, I went to the 3 hour and 7 minute training session. I attended the one that emphasized the dangers of chemicals. A lot of complex names were mentioned, and I learned a BUNCH of different ways one can get injured or be killed in a lab.  Fun, fun, fun. Apparently, even nanotechnology has a ton of potential to be hazardous too. A variety of chemicals can kill you even if only a drop lands on your latex gloves and you don't treat it in the next 2-3 minutes. Thankfully, I will not be working with those chemicals and therefore most likely will not be injured in any way. The worse thing that could probably happen is that I accidentally ingest some E. coli and get sick.

For whoever may be reading this and is like, "O_O ?!?!?!?!", I am Preston Kung, one of the first EXP-ers at Peddie. EXP (http://www.peddie.org/podium/default.aspx?t=127605) is a high school level program that allows "high level" students to explore, experience, and experience the life of a research scientist for at least 200 hours (5 weeks). I am working at Princeton University in Professor Shaevitz's laboratory (http://sites.google.com/site/shaevitzlab/). It specializes in studying the physical mechanisms of how bacteria move.

Since I haven't obtained my special high school student badge, I can't run any trials yet. So I am simply reading up on my experiment. [An attachment of my research proposal belongs here] The above link/attachment is my research proposal, created in the Spring of 2011. I can't wait to start actually running trials, gene sequencing, using big lasers to measure tiny objects, and programming. This summer will seem like a ton of fun.

Peace~

-PK

No comments:

Post a Comment