Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pat Quinn - Day 8

I have gained a few responsibilities since a began. I have now taken on the role as mother chicken. Everyday I have to check that the incubators are at the right temperature of 38 degrees Celsius, I have to make sure the incubators have water so that it is the right humidity  and I have to rotate each egg 180 degrees so that the embryo doesn't get stuck to the shell. On Wednesday and Friday the new eggs come in. So I have to take them out of the box, check for any cracks and label each one with the day it goes into the incubator and the date. Then on the right day I will put the eggs into the incubator. I also dissect almost everyday and recently I have been dissecting the eggs at different stages of development. This week I will stain them in order to see the branching within the lungs at the different stages. 

Tomorrow I will be finding out what my specific research project is on lung development. The past week and a half I have been doing some of the basic steps in just seeing how the lung develops. I may not be doing the project I wrote my proposal on because it is a project the lab has done many times and is now writing a paper on it. So instead I may be working with a different aspect of lung development. In my spare time though I will continue to help the post doc in creating the pressurized system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment