Friday, June 17, 2011

Santo Chen second week


Hey guys. Really sorry that I forgot to post my last one..I wrote it and saved it but did not post it.

One advice to everyone: do not try to impress your PI so that you work really really really hard. I mean work really hard is fine, but work really hard causes problems…health problems. It happened to me last week. I worked hard from Monday to Thursday, sitting there all day labeling butterflies, or photographing, or doing statistics tests without moving at all. And sometimes I just skipped lunch in order to get the work done ASAP. And guess what? I had a fever on Friday and diarrhea all day, so I had to email my PI explaining my absence... do not do that!

So starting from this Monday I started to do some real statistics tests on this program called PASW. It helps to separate the variables and factors and draw out clear diagram to show if there is any significant difference between two categories due to a specific variables. Sadly almost all the data I collected showed no significant results. Most of the differences in eyespot development were due to gender or season (dry season/wet season) instead of the injection of the hormones. However we did see some trends that show the potential significant differences, but we need more data to determine if these trends are really significant.

My PI is attending a conference this week and won’t be back until Sunday. So on Monday we talked about everything I needed to do this week: basically to collect all the data and put them on the spreadsheet. On Tuesday I finished clipping the allllllllllllllllllllll the butterfly wings, too many that I stopped counting at one point. On Wednesday I started photographing these wings using the digital microscope camera. And on Thursday I finished photographing them and started measuring and diameters. And today I finished doing all the measurements. Hopefully there will be some significant results this time.

Oh and Dr. Peretz is coming on Sunday. I will show her the insectary and the office if possible. I do not know what I am going to do next week. Maybe I will need to start writing some reports? Not an easy task for me…. 

Santoooooooooooooooooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment