Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Jack-1st Post, 1st Week

I started yesterday with a meeting with Doctor York. We outlined some basic goals and methods as well as sorting out some simple logistical matters, such as where I would park and what my schedule would be. This being Rutgers, there was also plenty of paperwork to fill out. We then took a tour to see the facilities; the conference room, a number of work spaces for the lab members, and a administrative office. There's not one "real" lab in the building, as far as I can tell (although there is a lonely eye-washing station outside my room, which as far as I can tell is completely ceremonial). We also met the members of the York group, including Georgie, the Eastern European RNA expert, and Ming, the Linux expert. I got my own cubical in a room with Ming, Kinyiu, and another man who I have yet to see, as well as a computer, which I'm typing on now before everyone gets here.
After the tour, I began with my first day's lesson-how to work Linux. Ming gave me a short tutorial on basic commands (ls-list directory, cd-change directory, etc.) and then pointed me to a more in-depth tutorial online. I spent the day just getting acclimated to Linux and copying over a few important files from GIT, an online library of sorts. Before leaving I had another short meeting with Dr. York where we went over the day's lesson quickly, and decided on a game plan of sorts for the next week. 
Oh, and I brought in bagels.

No comments:

Post a Comment