Sunday, June 19, 2011

End of First Week - Kate Wang

So the first week went pretty well. I think. I mean I've only broken two things so far, a glass pipette and a glass funnel. Everyone in the lab is really nice and I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable with them. I mainly work in a lab with Matt but he's not there a lot of the time so I get to have the lab to myself and play music and whatnot. I've still been doing the same procedures for the past week although it is not completely identical depending on what I am testing. The only issue is that we have no way of seeing if my result is correct or not, because the beads that I am working on have not been tested before. And then, when I was going over my results with Rob, we realized that some of my numbers were negative when they definitely should not have been. I really hope I didn't do anything wrong although I don't think I did. At least it is only my first week there and I still have 4 more weeks to make it up and hopefully start getting better results.

I have yet to bring in any food to the lab so I bought cookie mix and am planning on making cookies today to bring into the lab tomorrow to celebrate my surviving one week in the lab. I also have regular meetings with Dr. Chan just to talk about what I'm doing in the lab and how things are going.

Also, the most embarrassing to happen to me, actually there's two of them. The first happened on the second day when I accidentally did not close the freezer door completely and the next morning apparently the freezer had frozen over and they had to throw almost everything in the freezer out! Luckily when I apologized to Matt he told me that they were supposed to have thrown most of it out a while ago but they just never got around to it so I gave them an excuse to throw it away. Phew! The second was that I was playing pandora while in the lab and suddenly, Teach Me How to Dougie came on. And I don't recall it being to bad swear-word wise except for some reason this one was terrible, every second word that came out was a curse word and Matt told me to turn it off immediately. I didn't even realize that it was playing because I was concentrating on my work. I quickly changed it to a Three Day Blind channel and hopefully Matt isn't too mad at me.

Anyways, I hope I have better luck next week and the cookies will hopefully earn me brownie points!

No comments:

Post a Comment