Saturday, July 16, 2011

End of Week 5 - Kate Wang

This is my last post ever to this blog. I can't believe it's already been 5 weeks!

On Thursday, Vince went over how to use an HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography) with me and I think I understood most of it. Then I started the usual trials and Rob also gave me polymers to sieve and wash while I was waiting. I think on Wednesday Tom went over how to use the GC (gas chromatography) with me and he used this great analogy with zoo animals breaking out and something. Then, after I finished everything I had to do, I went around and took photos of most of the people that I worked with but I missed a couple since they'd already left by the time I was done. I'd also brought in the cookiebrownie which everyone really liked. 

On Friday, my last day, I started out with the usual trial and I also sieved a polymer. Later, Dr. Chan walked me through how to use an ELISA machine (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). After that, they surprised me with an oreo ice cream cake and everyone came and it was like a small farewell party! We all sat and talked and ate delicious ice cream. After that, Humayra walked me through the Luminex machine which is almost like a fancy ELISA machine. Then, at the end of the day I hung out with Rob and Simon for a while before saying all my goodbyes and going home.

Over all, I think this has been a great experience and I met some very interesting and fun people. I really hope that I can visit them again sometime and I invited almost all of them to the dinner in November :)

No comments:

Post a Comment