Sunday, July 17, 2011

Alec Mitchell- End of 1st Week at Columbia

Well, I officially survived my first week at my lab. Since I haven't started my planned project yet, this week has been composed of learning what goes on in the lab.

On Wednesday I got to help synthesize zinc oxide nanocrystals with Alex, an engineer from the Kymissis lab (they partner with the Owen lab, and help with the engineering end of making solar cells). In case you didn't know, the lab I work in makes nanocrystal semiconductors to be used in solar cells. By making a transistor with the crystals, we can determine how well the semiconductors work.

After doing the less dangerous synthesis, I also got to help make CdSe quantum dots. Unlike the ZnO crystals, CdSe crystals actually change colors during the synthesis. It's pretty cool, and it looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xm4LABNYzo. During the wait I got a quantum mechanics lecture from Zak, which I actually understood to some extent. Unfortunately we made a larger amount of crystals than usual, so the solution had to be distilled. Everyone in the lab compared waiting for it to watching paint dry.

The next morning I spent with Alex in the Kymissis lab. I learned the process of spinning ZnO films on  ITO glass. In basic terms, it is comparable to spin art with a science twist. Later that day I got to see Zak spin a CdSe film and test a transistor that he made.

Starting tomorrow I will be synthesizing CdSe crystals with different Cd to Se ratios. Once the new glove box is installed on Wednesday I'll start on my planned project.

I've learned more than I could have imagined so far thanks to everyone, and it has only been my first week. I'm really looking forward to my next four weeks working in the Owen lab.

-Alec

No comments:

Post a Comment