Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Week 9 Post 1 -PK

OMGSH!~ I only have 1.5 weeks (ish) left! Overall the experience was pretty cool, but there are so many things I still want/need to do! Largh, why is there ALWAYS too little time? Well I guess part of the reason is that I'm limited by the number of trials I can do each day. Since I have to grow the E. coli that day, I can only run two trials, regardless of how fast I am at running the actual experiment. Pity...


So I just got back from my two week Bible camp retreat and I was told that once again, I am going to be doing a slightly different experiment. I still am studying the effects of osmotic shocks on the same strains of bacteria; however, I am going to be looking at a different mechanism the E. coli employ when coping with the osmotic shock. The first mechanism I studied was that certain pumps transferred materials (it depends on which pump one is looking at) in and out of the cell. The mechanism I am beginning to study now is the synthesis of materials, one of which is trehalose.


This is going to be pretty awesome, but there are two downsides of this. One, I don't get as much data on the first mechanism as I would be able to if I concentrated all my efforts on the first mechanism. Two, I have to read a lot more primary articles. It's not really that I mind the second one, but I'd really like to keep my brain fresh for the Peddie homework and college apps I do at night. (Yeah... I've been procrastinating a lot lately :( )


I can't wait for the next two weeks to come. Not just because I'm done, but I finally will feel like I accomplished a lot. Hopefully, it won't end and I'll be able to come to the lab during the school year. I don't know how that'll work out, but I got my fingers crossed that it does.


Peace~


PK

No comments:

Post a Comment