Saturday, August 13, 2011

Last Day- Alec Mitchell

So, this will be my last post on the blog. The five weeks I spent at the Owen lab felt a lot shorter than they really were.

Since it was my last day and there was an undergraduate student leaving as well, everybody still in the lab (including the PI) went out for ice cream as a last day party.

In the end my project was what I originally had planned on. Of course, after working on it I know a lot more than before (and I mean a LOT). I've learned what goes into the process of making a film of quantum dots from synthesizing the dots themselves to chlorinating them to cleaning them to actually spinning them to testing them. To summarize my project, I tested a series of washes on the films to find the best process to make them.

While I spent most of my time working on my own project, I also got to do so many other things including: learning about the projects of the others in the lab, going to lectures, helping put together a glove box, learning how a lab is managed and the different positions in it, and what goes into research.

My two favorite parts of working in the Owen lab were:

1. The research. The lab is an organometallic lab. I never really considered this type of chemistry before, but I really enjoyed all of the work that they do. While the research they do is really cool, this kind of chemistry is extremely dangerous, so being careful is a must.

2. The people. I don't think my lab experience could have  been so amazing without the help of everyone in the Owen lab. I never had any problems asking for help, and someone was always willing to explain things to me. This especially applies to my grad student Zak, who took the time to teach me everything I needed to know and beyond as well as looking after me all the time.

As a final note, I just wanted to thank all of the members of the Owen group, especially professor Owen himself for letting me work in the lab and for making it such a great experience. I wish I could of stayed longer, but I will never forget the amazing time I had.

That's all,
Alec

No comments:

Post a Comment